How to Work Off a Jelly Belly Jelly Bean
FAIRFIELD, CALIF. -- Each Jelly Belly® jelly bean is just four calories, making one serving between 60-100 calories, according to the National Confectioners Association’s “Treat Right” website. Experts at Jelly Belly Candy Company recommend consuming those jelly beans one at a time to savor the gourmet flavors. Looking for a fun way to burn off that serving? It’s easier and more entertaining than you think to work off your moderate consumption of this sweet treat.
To burn off the calories in a serving of Jelly Belly jelly beans, try some of these activities – in fact, you might already do them and not even know you’re burning calories:
- Cycling: 10 minutes (approx. 87 calories)
- Jumping jacks: 10 minutes (approx. 80 calories)
- Dancing: 10-25 minutes, depending on the style (Insider Tip: Disco dancing burns 84 calories in 10 minutes, ballet burns 99 in 20 minutes.)
- Mowing the lawn: 20 minutes (approx. 99 calories)
- Golfing: 20 minutes (approx. 94 calories)
- Coaching your child’s soccer match: 25 minutes (approx. 93 calories)
- Fishing: 30 minutes (approx. 93 calories)
- Building furniture: 35 minutes (approx. 87 calories)
- Picking up around the house: 35 minutes (approx. 87 calories)
- Shooting pool: 45 minutes (approx. 84 calories)
The non-profit organization Advancing Science, Serving Society (AAAS) shared a video from the 2013 White House Easter Egg Roll in which staff members led the “Jelly Bean Jump” – an exercise designed to show kids how much work it takes to burn of the foods they eat. According to the AAAS, running in place, jumping jacks or other similar sustained activity for 30 seconds can burn off the calories consumed in one Jelly Belly jelly bean (four calories) or one bite of apple. Participating children felt their heart rates and learned why this type of activity is beneficial for a healthy lifestyle.
Tags: Jelly Belly jelly beans